Re: PG Statistics - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: PG Statistics
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 06:49:39PM -0500, mcelroy, tim wrote:
> Does anyone know how much of a performance hit turning stats_block_level and
> stats_row_level on will incur?  Do both need to be on to gather cache
> related statistics?  I know the annotated_conf_80 document states to only
> turn them on for debug but if they're not that performance intensive I
> cannot see the harm.

I ran some tests a few months ago and found that stats_command_string
had a significant impact, whereas stats_block_level and stats_row_level
were almost negligible.  Here are my test results:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2005-12/msg00307.php

Your results may vary.  If you see substantially different results
then please post the particulars.

--
Michael Fuhr