Re: MySQL million tables - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Stefan 'Kaishakunin' Schumacher
Subject Re: MySQL million tables
Date
Re: MySQL million tables  (Jean-Paul Argudo <jean-paul@argudo.org>)
List pgsql-advocacy
Also sprach Christopher Kings-Lynne (chriskl@familyhealth.com.au)
> I see in this post on planetmysql.org that this guy got MySQL to die
> after creating 250k tables.  Anyone want to see how far PostgreSQL can
> go? :)
>
> http://bobfield.blogspot.com/2006/03/million-tables.html
>
> Also, can we beat his estimate of 27 hours for creation?

for i in `seq 1 1000000`;
do
echo "create table test$i (ts timestamp);"|psql tabletorture;
done

This is a Pentium 3 with 256MB Ram, I'll see how far it gets and how
long it takes.

Now I got ~2600 tables in 4 minutes, so it might take a day to get the
million. However, the MySQL-guy has no statements about his
test-machine, so it's not comparable.

--
PGP FPR: CF74 D5F2 4871 3E5C FFFE 0130 11F4 C41E B3FB AE33
--

Attachment