Re: fyracle - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: fyracle
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Sunday 05 March 2006 17:55, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> Anyone familiar enough with Firebird to know how accurate
> http://www.janus-software.com/fb_fyracle.html is? In particular, I'm
> suspect of the gap in transactions and SQL Functionality (I'm guessing
> the difference in triggers is due to our lack of statement-level
> triggers).

Hmm.. I've read that page in the past, but it seems to have been updated.. for
the worse.   You'd have to ask them for specifics on how the little circle's
get filled in; I'm not sure why we arn't 100% on datatypes since we can
certainly cover the datatypes they mention, but maybe they want the feature
to be symantically identical on a default install.  This would explain the
trigger tick, since we dont have triggers on views, instead using rules. (We
do have statement level triggers btw, but there are issues with iterating
over NEW/OLD on them). This might also be one of the knocks on us in
hirechical queries, since we're not doing it like them and not on default
install. I'd suspect the transaction one is probably more them just being
out-of-date: we have savepoints now and 2-phase commit, though no nested
transactions (it might be interesting to look at why they implement both
since they a are functionally pretty equivilant). That last tick on pl/sql is
sketchy too, since we match the description above, though down below it is
true that we dont have "pl/sql compatible SP's".

--
Robert Treat