Re: Oracle purchases Sleepycat - is this the "other shoe" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Oracle purchases Sleepycat - is this the "other shoe"
Date
Re: Oracle purchases Sleepycat - is this the "other shoe"  (Ned Lilly <ned@nedscape.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Leonard Soetedjo wrote:

>>> The deal's not gone through yet, but it sure does look like they want to
>>> put a hammerlock on MySQL ...
>>
>> Is it possible that Oracle is trying to buy MySQL to kill off other open
>> source competitor, e.g. PostgreSQL?  MySQL has a strong number of users and
>> therefore it is a good deal for Oracle to buy MySQL.  Then by doing that,
>> Oracle will market MySQL as the low-end alternative to their own database to
>> give a full solution to the customer.  And this would slow down the take up
>> rate for other database competitor.
>
> MySQL already has major funding.  I don't see how it could get worse for
> us if Oracle bought them.

I think that Leonards point here is that if Oracle were to acquire them
and market MySQL as 'the low-end alternative', that they have a huge
marketing budget that they could bring to bear on this ... one that I
imagine makes MySQL's look like pocket change ...

Greatbridge had "major funding", and succeeded in burning it off in, what,
12 months?

----