Re: Oracle purchases Sleepycat - is this the "other shoe" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Oracle purchases Sleepycat - is this the "other shoe"
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 16 Feb 2006, Leonard Soetedjo wrote:

> On Wednesday 15 February 2006 01:38, Tom Lane wrote:
>> merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:
>>> Oracle purchases Sleepycat.  From what I understand, BerkeleyDB was the
>>> "other" way that MySQL could have transactions if Oracle decided to
>>> restrict InnoDB tables (after purchasing Innobase last year).
>>>
>>> Does this mean the other shoe has dropped for MySQL AB?
>>
>> The deal's not gone through yet, but it sure does look like they want to
>> put a hammerlock on MySQL ...
>
> Is it possible that Oracle is trying to buy MySQL to kill off other open
> source competitor, e.g. PostgreSQL?  MySQL has a strong number of users and
> therefore it is a good deal for Oracle to buy MySQL.  Then by doing that,
> Oracle will market MySQL as the low-end alternative to their own database to
> give a full solution to the customer.  And this would slow down the take up
> rate for other database competitor.

IMHO, that would be a difficult sell, unless they continue to sink money
into MySQL to close the gap between MySQL and PostgreSQL ... it would be
possible, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me ...

If someone is going to go with MySQL, most of their motivation is going to
be cost based ... selling them on an upgrade to Oracle at how many $10s of
thousand, vs them moving to PostgreSQL at no cost, could still be a hard
sell :(

  ----