Re: Oracle purchases Sleepycat - is this the "other shoe" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Uwe C. Schroeder
Subject Re: Oracle purchases Sleepycat - is this the "other shoe"
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wednesday 15 February 2006 18:49, Chris wrote:
> > And since MySQL already has got the upperhand in terms of marketing,
> > Oracle would buy MySQL to make it as the low-end alternative.  Never mind
> > the lack/immature features in MySQL such as stored proc or trigger.
>
> Mysql 5 has stored procedures and triggers.
>
> The fact that you have to change between different "storage engines" to
> use transactions properly etc is a little weird (and some of the new
> engines are just bizarre), but that's beside the point.
>
> 90% of open-source software is written to use only mysql (and it's not
> easy to switch to another db) - search freshmeat or sourceforge for
> anything postgresql related.. not much there.
>
> Then, even if you do write something to use postgresql a lot of hosts
> don't support it anyway ('mysql is good enough').. so you're stuck.

Well, I guess the moment all the hoster's have to buy commercial licenses for
providing a database they'll switch to PG in no time - or charge more for the
people who absolutely need mysql.
Maybe it's time to write a sophisticated "mysql to postgresql" automation
tool....

    UC

--
Open Source Solutions 4U, LLC    1618 Kelly St
Phone:  +1 707 568 3056        Santa Rosa, CA 95401