Re: Modifying postgresql.org file - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Modifying postgresql.org file
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 08:15:46AM -0800, Ken Hill wrote:
> It has been suggested to me to increase my work_mem to make queries
> preform faster. I believe I do this in the 'postgresql.org' file.  I
> seem to have two of these files:
>
> /etc/postgresql/7.4/main/postgresql.org
> /usr/share/postgresql/7.4/postgresql.conf.sample

Where did you get this version of Postgres?  The main config file
should be $PGDATA/postgresql.conf.  Anything else is probably the
result of your system's packaging having done some magic.  But in any
case, unless I'm misremembering, the work_mem setting isn't in 7.4.

You can check the docs on postgresql.org.  There's a whole section on
the configuration variables, and manuals are available for several
releases back.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
Information security isn't a technological problem.  It's an economics
problem.    --Bruce Schneier