Re: [HACKERS] Scrollable cursors and Sort performance - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Scrollable cursors and Sort performance
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 07:50:22PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 11:44 -0600, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> >> But speaking of documentation, it doesn't actually say what the default
> >> is. Care update that, or should I formally submit a patch?
> >>
> >> [1] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/sql-declare.html
>
> Actually, if you submit a patch that says either "SCROLL is the default"
> or "NO SCROLL is the default", it will be rejected as incorrect.  The
> reason is that the default behavior is different from either of these,
> as is explained in the NOTES section.

Ok, so *that's* where the bit about the query plan being simple enough.
Based on that, ISTM that it should be premissable for us to decide that
a cursor requiring a sort isn't "simple enough" to support SCROLL.

In any case, here's a patch that makes the non-standard behavior easier
for people to find.

Attachment