Re: Sane configuration options for a WinXP laptop 8.1 install? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: Sane configuration options for a WinXP laptop 8.1 install?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 05:05:02PM -0500, Ron wrote:
> In an attempt to save myself some time, I thought I ask The Community
> if anyone has guidance here.
>
> HW:  Intel PM (very likely to be upgraded to an AMD Turion when the
> proper HW becomes available) w/ 2GB of RAM (shortly to be 4GB) and a
> 5400rpm 100GB HD (will be dual 7200rpm 160GB HD's as soon as they
> become available)
>
> OS:  The laptop in question is running the latest WinXP service pack
> and patches.  When the CPU and HD upgrades mentioned above happen, I
> will probably start running dual boot FC5 + 64b Windows.
>
> Possible optional HW: external "box of HDs" for doing and/or
> modelling stuff that can't be using only the internal ones.
>
> I want to get as much performance as I can out of the HW + OS.
>
> Anyone want to take a stab at what the config files and options
> should be for best performance under most circumstances?
>
> This is intended to be a portable development platform, so opinions
> as to which contrib modules are worth/not worth installing is also
> appreciated.

Off the top of my head...

shared_buffers=30000
drop max_connections to what you'll actually be using
maintenance_work_mem=100000
work_mem=2000000/max_connections (maybe * 0.9 for some added margin)
autovacuum=on
autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay=20
autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor=0.2