Re: Audio interview - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From David Fetter
Subject Re: Audio interview
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Audio interview  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 09:00:46AM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> David Fetter wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 11:43:40PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > You mentioned in-place upgrade scripts.  Are those in contrib/
> > somewhere?  On GBorg?  On PgFoundry?  If not, could you put them
>
>     /contrib/pg_upgrade

I see it in the attic, but not in CVS TIP.  Is there some way to get
it back?  Or should it go somewhere else until it's at least slightly
working?

> > somewhere?  As far as converting them from shell to Perl, I'm sure
> > you'll find a flock of volunteers to help.
>
> Yea, but the problem with modifying the disk pages is still a
> problem.

I understand that not everybody will choose this path, but we've gone
to a *lot* of trouble--and as you pointed out, have benefitted
directly from the effort--to provide pointy-hair checkboxes like the
Windows port.  "In-place upgrade" is one of those checkboxes, and I'm
pretty confident that getting it working will have at a minimum the
same benefits to the rest of the code that making the Windows port
did.

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!