Re: Want to add to contrib.... xmldbx - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Want to add to contrib.... xmldbx
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 30 Jan 2006, Mark Woodward wrote:

> It gets so frustrating sometimes, it isn't so black and white, there are
> many levels of gray. The PostgreSQL project is trying so hard to be
> neutral, that it is making itself irrelevant.

We are making ourselves irrelevant because we encourage the use of
PgFoundry vs including everything (and the kitchen sink) in our core
distribution?

That's like saying that Perl is makign itself irrelevant since it doesn't
include all of CPAN in their distribution, or PHP cause they don't include
all of the pear stuff, or ...

If an extension is programmed properly, there is no reason why it can't be
external to the core distribution, and the tools are provided to help
ensure that they are programmed properly ... its not like it used to be,
where you *had* to download the source tar ball in order to make use of
the Makefile infrastructure ...

----