Re: [GENERAL] Creation of tsearch2 index is very slow - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Creation of tsearch2 index is very slow
Date
Re: [GENERAL] Creation of tsearch2 index is very slow
List pgsql-performance
On Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 04:29:13PM +0300, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> Martijn, you're right! We want not only to split page to very
> different parts, but not to increase the number of sets bits in
> resulted signatures, which are union (OR'ed) of all signatures
> in part. We need not only fast index creation (thanks, Tom !),
> but a better index. Some information is available here
> http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/oddmuse/index.cgi/Tsearch_V2_internals
> There are should be more detailed document, but I don't remember where:)

I see how it works, what I don't quite get is whether the "inverted
index" you refer to is what we're working with here, or just what's in
tsearchd?

> >That's harder though (this algorithm does approximate it sort of)
> >and I havn't come up with an algorithm yet
>
> Don't ask how hard we thought :)

Well, looking at how other people are struggling with it, it's
definitly a Hard Problem. One thing though, I don't think the picksplit
algorithm as is really requires you to strictly have the longest
distance, just something reasonably long. So I think the alternate
algorithm I posted should produce equivalent results. No idea how to
test it though...

Have a nice day,

Attachment