Re: Postgres Wierdness - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Crozier
Subject Re: Postgres Wierdness
Date
List pgsql-general
This is a natural consequence of shutting down with "immediate" mode.

From the manual: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/app-pg-ctl.html

' "Immediate" mode will abort all server processes without a clean shutdown.
This will lead to a recovery run on restart.'

It has only to do with the state of the write ahead logs, not with the nature
of your clients.

-michael

> I just started using JDBC to connect to postgres from Tomcat, and when
> I pg_ctl stop -m immediate my server, I get a bunch of messages thus:
>
> WARNING: terminating connection because of crash of another server process
> DETAIL: The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back
> the current transaction and exit, because another server process
> exited abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
>
> When the server comes back up, it claims:
> LOG: database system was not propertly shut down; automatic recovery in
> progress
>
> I'm using the Jdbc3PoolingDataSource to connection.  The code isn't
> doing any write transactions at all at this point.
>
> Anyone any idea what might be happening here?
>
> Alex Turner

Conducive Technology Corporation
 Taking air cargo information
   to the next level