Re: new to postgres (and db management) and performance already a problem :-( - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: new to postgres (and db management) and performance already a problem :-(
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 11:07:52PM +0100, Antoine wrote:

> performance problems (a programme running 1.5x slower than two weeks
> ago) might not be coming from the db (or rather, my maintaining of it).
> I have turned on stats, so as to allow autovacuuming, but have no idea
> whether that could be related. Is it better to schedule a cron job to do
> it x times a day? I just left all the default values in postgres.conf...
> could I do some tweaking?

The first thing you need to do is find out where your problem is.
Are queries running slowly?  You need to do some EXPLAIN ANALYSE
queries to understand that.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The whole tendency of modern prose is away from concreteness.
        --George Orwell