Re: Index isn't used during a join. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Robert Creager
Subject Re: Index isn't used during a join.
Date
List pgsql-performance
When grilled further on (Wed, 11 Jan 2006 10:33:03 -0500),
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> confessed:

> The planner understands about transitivity of equality, ie given a = b
> and b = c it can infer a = c.  It doesn't do any such thing for
> inequalities though, nor does it deduce f(a) = f(b) for arbitrary
> functions f.  The addition Michael suggested requires much more
> understanding of the properties of the functions in your query than
> I think would be reasonable to put into the planner.

OK.  I think reached a point that I need to re-organize how the data is stored,
maybe ridding myself of the schema and switching entirely to views.  At that
point, I likely could rid myself of the function (unmunge_time) I'm using, and
work with times and doy fields.

Thanks,
Rob

--
 21:17:00 up 4 days, 13:43,  9 users,  load average: 2.02, 2.18, 2.23
Linux 2.6.12-12-2 #4 SMP Tue Jan 3 19:56:19 MST 2006

Attachment