Re: Change in policy on News? - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Change in policy on News?
Date
List pgsql-www
On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Marc,
>
>> Actually, I don't think that that is very fair ... its too broadstroke
>> ... almost think we should add a 'Software Releases' section seperate
>> from the News Items ... keep News Items for stuff like 'article
>> announcements' or new service announcements, or such ... still need to
>> have a policy on software announces (ie. only major.minor, but no
>> major.minor.insignificant) ...
>
> I'd love this, but it would require a site design change.  If you remember,
> we'd talked about dividing the news tickers into 4 parts:  News, Product
> Announcements, Events and Training.   However, that didn't work with the
> design for the home page.

How much work would it be to fix up the right column on the main page?

Initial thoughts:

   Get rid of the individual dates ... change it to something like:

Latest News

Jan 2006
   Minor Versions ...
   Lattice SPGen vers ...
   PG Lightening ...
Dec 2005
   <anything in here>

Upcoming Events

Jan 2006
   PostgreSQL: Managing Roles ..
   Intense PostgreSQL Training ...
   PostgreSQL Training in Paris ...

   Also, truncate the 'headline' so that it fits all on one line ... click
on it to see the whole article, but don't span, in some cases, 3 lines ...

   And then just add the two new sections ...

----