can't connect to postgresql via phppgadmin and pgaccess - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From First Last
Subject can't connect to postgresql via phppgadmin and pgaccess
Date
List pgsql-novice
<FO=
NT style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: arial,helvetica,sans-serif" size=3D2>i'm tryin=
g to use phppgadmin to connect to postgresql and except for the 'www-da=
ta' account, no other account could log on to the database. i tried twe=
aking all the config files (pg_hba.conf, postgresql.conf, etc) but to n=
o avail. it always gives me the 'FATAL: IDENT Authentication failed <BR=
>for user [username]'.   would somebody know what app postgres=
ql uses for the authentication process? earlier on, i removed several <=
BR>services which include portmapper, inetd, auth/identd, etc., to limi=
t services and subsequently tighten security. perhaps i removed the app=
 that postgre uses? but if that's the case, i wonder how www-data is ab=
le to make a connection, and i also doubt if i could remove a package <=
BR>without aptitude warning me of a broken dependency (for postgresql).=
 anyway, i tried to reinstall and run portmapper and auth/identd again =
but still i had no luck.with psql, i have no problem accessing the =
database. it's only with the gui-based pgaccess and phppgadmin that i a=
m having problem. what baffles me is that 'www-data' can make a con=
nection via phppgadmin. btw, i'm running phppgadmin 3.5.2, postgres=
ql 7.4 on debian sarge 3.1, if that would help.  <b=
r>Check out Atenista.Net (www.atenista.net)- new design, regular conten=
t and additional services!