Re: Arrays in PL/pgSQL routines? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: Arrays in PL/pgSQL routines?
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 12:46:28PM -0500, Ken Winter wrote:
> Can arrays be declared in PL/pgSQL routines?  If so, how?
>
> Section 8.10 of the documentation
> (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/arrays.html) tells how to declare
> and use arrays as table columns.  But I don't find any part of the
> documentation that says how to declare a simple array local to a PL/pgSQL
> function.  I tried the following guess, but it only won me a "syntax error
> at or near VARCHAR:
>
> DECLARE
>
>   my_array VARCHAR [];

What version of PostgreSQL are you using?  Could you post a complete
function instead of just an excerpt?  The following works for me in
7.4.10 and later but not in 7.3.12:

CREATE FUNCTION foo(varchar, varchar, varchar) RETURNS varchar[] AS '
DECLARE   my_array varchar[] := ''{}'';
BEGIN   my_array[1] := $1;   my_array[2] := $2;   my_array[3] := $3;   RETURN my_array;
END;
' LANGUAGE plpgsql IMMUTABLE STRICT;

SELECT foo('a', 'b', 'c');  foo
(1 row)

Array handling was improved in 7.4; in earlier versions you'll
probably get an error like the following after SELECT:

WARNING:  plpgsql: ERROR during compile of foo near line 4
ERROR:  syntax error at or near "["

That's a little different than your "syntax error at or near VARCHAR."
Was that the actual error message?

--
Michael Fuhr