Re: How import big amounts of data? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Teemu Torma
Subject Re: How import big amounts of data?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thursday 29 December 2005 17:19, Arnau wrote:
> > - Use plpgsql function to do the actual insert (or update/insert if
> > needed).
> >
> > - Inside a transaction, execute SELECT statements with maximum
> > possible number of insert function calls in one go.  This minimizes
> > the number of round trips between the client and the server.
>
> Thanks Teemu! could you paste an example of one of those functions?
> ;-) An example of those SELECTS also would be great, I'm not sure I
> have completly understood what you mean.

An insert function like:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION
insert_values (the_value1 numeric, the_value2 numeric)
RETURNS void
LANGUAGE plpgsql VOLATILE AS $$
BEGIN
  INSERT INTO values (value1, value2)
    VALUES (the_value1, the_value2);
RETURN;
END;
$$;

Then execute queries like

SELECT insert_values(1,2), insert_values(2,3), insert_values(3,4);

with maximum number of insert_values calls as possible.

I think the transaction (BEGIN/COMMIT) has little time benefit if you
have at least hundreds of calls in one SELECT.

Teemu