Re: 15,000 tables - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: 15,000 tables
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 08:34:43PM +0100, Michael Riess wrote:
> Well, we tried switching to daily VACUUM ANALYZE and weekly VACUUM FULL,
> but the database got considerably slower near the end of the week.

If you have your FSM configured correctly and you are vacuuming
tables often enough for your turnover, than in regular operation you
should _never_ need VACUUM FULL.  So it sounds like your first
problem is that.  With the 15000 tables you were talking about,
though, that doesn't surprise me.

Are you sure more back ends wouldn't be a better answer, if you're
really wedded to this design?  (I have a feeling that something along
the lines of what Tom Lane said would be a better answer -- I think
you need to be more clever, because I don't think this will ever work
well, on any system.)

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
This work was visionary and imaginative, and goes to show that visionary
and imaginative work need not end up well.
        --Dennis Ritchie