Re: Print advertising - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Print advertising
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Sun, 20 Nov 2005, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Mike,
>
> I'm taking this back on-list because I think it's a critical discussion.
>
>> I have a fuzzy feeling that there are a few people
>> in the world that do not sit around reading
>> Information Week as part of their daily routine.  A
>> CEO of a 20 person company in Oneonta, NY may not
>> even know that there IS such a thing as PG..... but
>> he sure knows that he has needs and 1 of them is
>> saving money.  He probably DOES read the local
>> paper... because he may be in it.  And if he reads
>> some plain talk about PG, he may grab his "computer
>> guy" by the stacking swivel and say... "Why wasn't I
>> told about this?"
>
> I think you're absolutely right.  However, I'm personally at a loss on how to
> reach these people without spending a fortune on print advertising.   The
> problem is that small businesses simply don't read any national publications
> consistently.  There are some key ones we could take on -- ComputerWorld,
> Philanthropy Journal -- but on the whole it would be hit-or-miss.  And for
> small local papers, there are probably 25,000 of them in the US.

What is the largest newspaper in the US?  In Canada, we hae two Nationals,
but I imagine in the US you have more?  How much are various advertisement
levels in their Business Sections?  Half a page ad would be seen by a
helluva lot of businessman, at most levels, I would guess ... but would be
fairly expensive too ...

----