Re: recovering windows database after crash - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: recovering windows database after crash
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 07:24:02PM +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have postgresql 8.0 under windows, with pgadmin 3
> > Unfortunaly i have met a problem with postgresql which
> > obliged me to reinstall  postgresql.  The bad thing is i have
> > no backup of my database before the crash (shame on me !!  ;-))  )
> >
> > So i wonder if it is possible, with the  folder of
> > /postgreql/data/8.0/data/base  which seem contain already the
> > directories of my database , to recover it ?
>
> Assuming yo uhave all the files, sure. Just run the installer again (make sure you use the same version you had
before!!),set the data directory to the same you had before, and make sure th einstaller is set *not* to run initdb. It
shouldpick it up automatically.

And to be safe make a backup of the entire directory
(/postgresql/data/8.0) if you can.