Re: 3 x PostgreSQL in cluster/redunant - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michelle Konzack
Subject Re: 3 x PostgreSQL in cluster/redunant
Date
Re: 3 x PostgreSQL in cluster/redunant  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-general
Am 2005-11-14 16:54:41, schrieb Jim C. Nasby:
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 07:36:44PM +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> > Hello *,
> >
> > I have three Sun Server where I have reserved on each Server a Raid-5
> > of 1 TByte for my PostgreSQL.  The first PostgreSQL is up and running
> > with a database of 150 GByte.
>
> Keep in mind that databases and RAID5 generally don't mix very well.

Can you explain me why?

Unfortunatly the Controllers in the three SUN-Servers do not support
300 GByte SCSI-Drives, so I have to continue with the Raid-5 of 16x
76 GByte.

Oh yes, I have started the PostgreSQL in 03/2000 with 7x 18 GByte and
never had problems with Raid-5.

Suggestions?

Please note, that in the coming year, my PostgreSQL will increase to
at least 900 GByte (text only) and the corresponding FileServer with
original Documents and additional Infos from 1,6 TByte to 28 TByte.

OK, I was thinking of a Server-Farm of small AMD64FX or Opteron 140
with two 300 GByte SCSI-Drives in Hardware Raid-1, and then installing
6-8 Systems running in Cluster, but I have no experience in such
systems...

And the price will explode... (Hardware recommandations?)

Are there any acceptable Tyan Opteron 140 Mainboards with SCSI Raid-5
onboard?  -  It should work with Debian GNU/Linux Sarge(amd64).

Oh yes, I have seeen that 300 GByte Drives are around 1200 Euro/drive.
So a "simpel" server will eat up at least 4200 Euro.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Greetings
Michelle

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi