Re: SIGSEGV taken on 8.1 during dump/reload - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: SIGSEGV taken on 8.1 during dump/reload
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Nov 12, 2005 at 12:28:48PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I think this would rarely work in practice.  For example, during the
> elog->ereport transition, any module compiled against the wrong server
> would immediately get an "unresolved symbol: elog/ereport" before you
> can run your nice version check.

Actually, that doesn't worry me. What worries me is that people who
don't use ereport won't get any error messages at all yet have
completely different expectations at to the structure of various
internal structures.

So the idea is to force failure when it would otherwise succeed, not
just for the pretty error messages but for stability of the system. I
would be in favour if storing the CATALOG_VERSION in the pg_finfo
struct and rejecting anything that doesn't match.

Have a nice day,