Re: WAL sync behaviour - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Steinar H. Gunderson
Subject Re: WAL sync behaviour
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 12:44:15PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Don't think so ... want to write something up?  Hard part is to
> figure out where to put it ...

To be honest, I think we could use a "newbie's guide to PostgreSQL
performance tuning". I've seen rather good guides for query tuning, and
guides for general performance tuning, but none that really cover both in a
coherent way. (Also, many of the ones I've seen start getting rather dated;
after bitmap index scans arrived, for instance, many of the rules with regard
to index planning probably changed.)

I'd guess http://www.powerpostgresql.com/PerfList is a rather good start for
the second part (and it's AFAICS under a free license); having something like
that in the docs (or some other document) would probably be a good start.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/