Re: Oracle 10g Express - any danger for Postgres? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Oracle 10g Express - any danger for Postgres?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Monday 31 October 2005 13:12, Bill Bartlett wrote:
> However, the other place where both these two (Oracle Express and SQL
> Server Express) may hurt is not by taking current users away from
> PostgreSQL but rather by taking away future users, and therefore a
> certain amount of future growth.

I know of several places where postgresql got "in the door" because setting up
oracle servers for development was just too painful, so the developers set up
postgresql servers instead with the intent of porting it to oracle for
production use.

In fact at one of my previous employers, we took it to the next level when it
came time to luanch our product and the "oracle dba group" said the turn
around time to port the schema to oracle would be three weeks. At that point
I explained we could be running it in production on postgresql within a week
and the switch was made.  That's how the snowball effect starts, and you can
bet oracle is trying to nip these things in the bud.

--
Robert Treat