Re: PostgreSQL on 64-bit operating systems - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brent Wood
Subject Re: PostgreSQL on 64-bit operating systems
Date
List pgsql-general

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Craig wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am going to be hosting a PostgreSQL database on a new server. We will be purchasing a server with the AMD Athlon 64
3200+processor.
> We are now posed with a choice of "FreeBSD 5.4" or "FreeBSD 5.4 x86_64Bit". My question is: Will PostgreSQL 8.04 run
perfectlyon a 64-bit OS, or should I run the 32 bit OS for now?

> Any help will be greatly appreciated

I'm running 8.03 on SuSE 9.3 A64, compiled from source for a 64 bit
package. It seems fine, no problems over the 4 weeks or so I've had it
running. About a 5Gb database, with heavy Postgis use.

See http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.aspx?i=2447&p=4

for some 32/64bit database benchmarks, unfortunately, not Postgres, but it
may still be of interest.

Brent Wood