Re: PostgreSQL contra Oracle - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Kaare Rasmussen
Subject Re: PostgreSQL contra Oracle
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
> You would be surprised what you can do with maps and the built in geometric
> types.

As in "calculate distance between two objects" on a map? The objects have to
follow the roads.

> This is possible by writing a GiST or other index on the data.

Well, I don't know offhand how to do it. My guess would be that you'd need
more knowledge about the LOB type and how to compare them to each other.

It's not something I need. It would be fun to play with, OTOH. Let PostgreSQL
decide which of the children looks the most like their mother or father :-)

--

Med venlig hilsen
Kaare Rasmussen, Jasonic

Jasonic                 Telefon: +45 3816 2582
Nordre Fasanvej 12
2000 Frederiksberg      Email: kaare@jasonic.dk