Re: PostgreSQL contra Oracle - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Darcy Buskermolen
Subject Re: PostgreSQL contra Oracle
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Monday 31 October 2005 07:22, Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
> While we're talking Oracle... :-)
>
> I attended an Oracle sales talk last week. Well, it was labeled "Technical
> information", but that's another story.
>
> I'd like to ask if PostgreSQL has some of the features being promoted.
>
> Log miner. A tool that walks the Undo logs an returns statements to update
> with old data. Could be useful for recovering specific table data, Data
> Mining etc.
> In the PostgreSQL world, it couldn't be dificult to do the same with WAL,
> or?
>
> Locator. As I recall, it is a GIS app, written into Oracle. Someone may
> know more?

If it's GIS then postgis (http://www.postgis.org) is probably the closest
thing we (being the PostgreSQL community, not the project itself) have to it.

> Feature index. Interesting feature from Virage. It indexes LOBs, say a
> picture or an videostream. Makes it possible to find closest match.

This sounds like a form of meta data.  I would think it requires some sort of
middleware to do effectively. But it's not outside of the realm of being
feasible.

> Fine Grain Audit. Some rules based autit mechanism where you can log e.g.
> all access to specific data.
>
> Information Life Cycle Management. A built-in way to degrade data
> importance. Maybe you want to move old rows onto cheaper disks, compress
> them or so.

I would think this would be easy to implement with the use of triggers,
tablespaces, partitioning / constraint exclusion and some hefty business
logic rules.

--
Darcy Buskermolen
Wavefire Technologies Corp.