Re: files to ignore during pitr base backup - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: files to ignore during pitr base backup
Date
List pgsql-admin
Jeff Frost wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> >It's safe to exclude those, but those are hardly the only files that
> >might "disappear" in a live database.  It'd be better to use a dump
> >tool that's less picky about the source data changing under it.  We've
> >had similar reports about GNU tar being too smart for this purpose :-(
>
> I would have thought that the pg_start_backup() function would tell the
> postmasters not to take files out from under the base backup process?

That would be impossible unless you wanted backends to freeze from time
to time while you take the base backup.

--
Alvaro Herrera                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/5ZYLFMCVHXC
"La rebeldía es la virtud original del hombre" (Arthur Schopenhauer)