Re: What gets cached? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Steinar H. Gunderson
Subject Re: What gets cached?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 11:09:55AM -0400, Alex Turner wrote:
> Just to play devils advocate here for as second, but if we have an algorithm
> that is substational better than just plain old LRU, which is what I believe
> the kernel is going to use to cache pages (I'm no kernel hacker), then why
> don't we apply that and have a significantly larger page cache a la Oracle?

There have (AFAIK) been reports of setting huge amounts of shared_buffers
(close to the total amount of RAM) performing much better in 8.1 than in
earlier versions, so this might actually be okay these days.

I haven't heard of anybody reporting increase setting such values, though.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/