Re: Seeing context switch storm with 10/13 snapshot of - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Creager
Subject Re: Seeing context switch storm with 10/13 snapshot of
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 12:24:03 -0600
Robert Creager <Robert.Creager@sun.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:29:43 -0600
> Robert Creager <Robert.Creager@sun.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 00:25:25 +0100
> > Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Please try this patch and see if it reduces the CS storm:
> > >

> Sorry, didn't work.  Took about an hour, and now it's now at the CS storm
> (averaging 94k).  I've now disabled auto vacuum, just to see if that is a
> trigger, and am re-running.

Vacuum (cron or auto) has no impact on the problem for 8.1beta3.

Tom had mentioned running oprofile, but I'm unable to get either 0.9.1 or 0.9.0
versions of oprofile working, so looks like I'll have to get a reproducible test
case...

Anyone know of a script that can replay a PostgreSQL log file?  Then I could log
all queries, wait till the problem hits, and then replay to see if that
reproduces it...

Cheers,
Rob