Re: Oracle buys Innobase - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Oracle buys Innobase
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, Robert Treat wrote:

> On Monday 17 October 2005 18:09, Robert Bernier wrote:
>>>
>>> Why not?  One would be hard to argue that removing MySQL from the market
>>> place would have any adverse effect on competition.  Are competitors
>>> then never allowed to merge in the EU?  Besides who would have standing
>>> to sue? IANAL though and I am an American so I could misunderstand
>>> something pretty fundamental.
>>
>> In canada we have a thing called the competition bureau, a company is not
>> allowed to buy another company if its to reduce competition
>>

> By that definition no company could ever buy any other company even if they
> wanted a mutual merger, so I don't think that is the case.

And, actually, that isn't the case (or, at least, there are ways around
it) ... two of Canada's largest Nickel mines in Sudbury just merged (to
the chagrin of their respective unions) ... if that isn't reducing
competition, I'm not sure what is :)

----