Re: sql function - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Andreas Kretschmer
Subject Re: sql function
Date
List pgsql-sql
Shavonne Marietta Wijesinghe <shavonne.marietta@studioform.it> schrieb:

> I have 2 schemas "operativo" and "autore" and they both have a table "PECDT00"
>
> i want to create a function with the following sql command (using the programme
> pgadmin 3) in pgadmin 3 there is a small wizard to fill when u create a
> function and u have to add the return type..
>
> this is the sql statement i wanna do
>
> DELETE FROM operativo.PECDT00;
> insert into operativo.PECDT00 (select * from autore.PECDT00);
>
> what can i use ad the return type??

Simple.

Open a new text file:

,----[  store this as table_copy.sql  ]
| create or replace function table_copy() returns void as $$
| delete from operative.PECDT00;
| insert into operativo.PECDT00 select * from autore.PECDT00;
| $$ language sql;
`----

Now call psql with your Database.

,----[  log from psql  ]
| test=>\i table_copy.sql
| CREATE FUNCTION
|
| test=> select table_copy();
|  table_copy
|
| (1 Zeile)
`----

I say it again: use the fine command line tool psql to learn SQL.

Regards, Andreas
unintentional side effect. (Linus Torvalds)