Re: Feedback from LinuxWorld, London - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: Feedback from LinuxWorld, London
Date
Re: Feedback from LinuxWorld, London  (Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au>)
Re: Feedback from LinuxWorld, London  (Andrew Sullivan <ajs@crankycanuck.ca>)
List pgsql-advocacy
On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 07:19:47PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > - Many current MySQL users would like to adopt PostgreSQL but feel
> > unable to do so because their application package does not support
> > PostgreSQL at all/well enough or they feel there are technical issues
> > with the MySQL to PostgreSQL code (not data) migration.
>
> And of course they are right.  Porting from MySQL to PostgreSQL is a
> problem, one which could only be solved by dumbing down PostgreSQL to
> accept many of MySQL's idiosyncracies, which isn't going to happen.

There are many features that could be implimented in PostgreSQL in a way
that was both logical and supported MySQL converters, though. The recent
discussion on one of the lists about adding enum as a type is an
example. I'm sure there are others.

I think the best way to increase migration from MySQL to PostgreSQL
would be to find out what the biggest pains are for users attempting to
migrate and then figure out how we can reduce that pain. In some cases
these solutions might be adding features to PostgreSQL, but many of them
might just involve improving existing migration tools.