Re: [PERFORM] A Better External Sort? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: [PERFORM] A Better External Sort?
Date
Re: [PERFORM] A Better External Sort?
Re: [PERFORM] A Better External Sort?
List pgsql-hackers
Jeff,

> > Nope, LOTS of testing, at OSDL, GreenPlum and Sun.   For comparison, A
> > Big-Name Proprietary Database doesn't get much more than that either.
>
> I find this claim very suspicious.  I get single-threaded reads in
> excess of 1GB/sec with XFS and > 250MB/sec with ext3.

Database reads?  Or raw FS reads?  It's not the same thing.

Also, we're talking *write speed* here, not read speed.

I also find *your* claim suspicious, since there's no way XFS is 300% faster
than ext3 for the *general* case.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions