Re: Time to start the PR machine - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Time to start the PR machine
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 04:13:45PM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 13:31, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > Shared Row Locking: PostgreSQL's "better than row-level
> > locking" has been improved further through the addition of
> > shared row locks for foreign keys.  Shared locks will improve
> > insert and update performance on some OLTP applications
> >                      ^^^^
> >
> > The word "some" sounds like it is a minority of OLTP applications.
> > In general any moderately used OLTP app will benifit from this yes?
> >
> > many, most, or just say performance on OLTP applications.
>
> well, it will really only help on those systems that were stressing out
> our current design (and thats really hardware dependent too) so maybe
> "busy", "heavy","high load" or just  "on OLTP applications".

It will help applications that use foreign keys extensively.  Do "most
OLTP apps" do that?  I guess any reasonably implemented app should.

--
Alvaro Herrera                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/DXLWNGRJD34
Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for