Re: PCTFree Results - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: PCTFree Results
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 11:05:47AM -0400, Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> Has there been any movement on this? If not, I finally have some time to
> look at it.

Well, here's the original thread:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-08/msg00637.php

I think the problem is that the testing isn't going to show us much (if
anything) based on applying PCTFREE across all tables. It only makes
sense for tables that see a lot of updates, or Index Organized Tables
(to use Oracle vernacular) with indexes spread throughout the table (I
don't think there's any other way to get indexes forcibly spread
throughout a table, and in any case it doesn't matter for PostgreSQL
right now).

So, the NOTPM numbers are probably pretty meaningless. One of the other
metrics that's essentially just updating might be more interesting.

Josh mentioned that there were additional stats produced by the patch,
but the URL seems to be down so I can't go and check. :(

It would be really useful if someone with a real-life heavy-update
workload stepped up.

I'm going to cc Satoshi; maybe he's not on the list.