Re: Proposal: leave a hint when switching logging away from stderr - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Proposal: leave a hint when switching logging away from stderr
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> * Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
>> Does this rise to the level of a usability bug that ought to be
>> back-patched?  As I said, we've seen this type of thinko multiple
>> times before.

> For this, I'd say to not back-patch it; we seem to have had enough fun
> with changing error messaging in back branches already lately (eg:
> the recent autovacuum changes..).

Well, since these would be new messages, they'd just not get translated
(until the translators got around to them).  Seems like the worst case
scenario is that someone who didn't understand the English version would
remain as clueless as before, which isn't much of a downside.