Re: Table Partitioning is in 8.1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Table Partitioning is in 8.1
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 06:10:15PM +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> Table Partitioning is in 8.1
>
> I've just read Peter Eisentraut's presentation to the Dutch gov (very
> good BTW). On the last page I read that Table Partitioning is a future
> for PostgreSQL....which is strange because Constraint Exclusion is an
> 8.1 feature.

I think it depends on how closely you relate "Table Partitioning" and
"Constraint Exclusion".  While you can use the latter to implement the
former, I think people expect a database that supports "Table
Partitioning" to have a CREATE PARTITION command (or something
similar).

> Is it possible that the Release Notes do not fully explain the
> Constraint Exclusion feature? Or is it the consensus that it works but
> not quite well enough to make a song and dance about yet?

IMHO, I think Constraint Exclusion is more useful in general and once
it is in and tested future releases will have a partitioning system
based upon it.

Have a nice day,