Re: uuid type for postgres - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Roman Neuhauser
Subject Re: uuid type for postgres
Date
List pgsql-hackers
# tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us / 2005-09-06 17:54:34 -0400:
> There's a fair amount of nearly
> unmaintained cruft in the core distro already (eg, the never-finished
> "line" datatype ... or the entire rtree index module ...) and a datatype
> that might be used by only a few people is a likely candidate to become
> an unmaintained backwater.  And yet it's hard to get rid of stuff that's
> been there awhile.  So one of the questions that's going to be asked is
> how useful/popular it's really going to be.   We'd have use for uuid in tables of N*10^6 rows (N<10 in most cases).
   I'm far from claiming to be an experienced C programmer, but count   me in for whatever I'll be able to do.
   I think that coming up with code that meets the general criteria for   inclusion in PostgreSQL first, before it's
consideredfor inclusion,   is a reasonable thing to do.

> One thing that is raising my own level of concern quite a bit is the
> apparent portability issues.
   That's understood.

You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.