log_duration times - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Carlos Henrique Reimer
Subject log_duration times
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi,

We want to discover how to improve the performance of an application and with that intention I turned on log_duration, log_statement=all and the time stamp escape character (%t) of log_line_prefix.

Subtracting the time stamp of the last SQL statement from the first one I disovered that the whole application takes about 10 seconds to run. Almost the same time we have at the client workstation.

Adding all the log_duration times I found almost 3 seconds (30% of the total time).

So, I realized that to improve performance it will be better to discover who is spending the 7 remaining seconds than making changes in database structure or SQL syntax.

How could I discover who is using the 7 remaining seconds? Network? ODBC? Application?

Thanks in advance!

Reimer

http://br.download.yahoo.com/messenger/