Re: Get postgresql workin in french... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephane Bortzmeyer
Subject Re: Get postgresql workin in french...
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 09:39:40AM -0400,
 Guy Doune <cesium5500@yahoo.ca> wrote
 a message of 28 lines which said:

> for getting postgresql accepting my entry with accent an all the
> what the french poeple put over there caracter while they write...

I use PostgreSQL with French data (names, addresses, etc).

> I gonna continu to search why it doesn't work...

You should give details such as commands attempted and error messages
obtained.

> I would know how to set the encoding (unicode, ASCII, etc.)

I use Unicode (actually, "UTF-8" would have been a better name)
because the database stores names in other languages, that you cannot
express with Latin-1.

I use the type TEXT and I can store and retrieve UTF-8 names (mostly
via Python programs) and basic operators like LIKE work fine (for
instance, _ matches one Unicode character, not one byte, which is
the right thing).