Re: Time to start the PR machine - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Time to start the PR machine
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Lance Obermeyer wrote:
> Oh, so we can, with a reasonably straight face, say something like
> this.  "This 1m downloads over the last six months compares to the
> last month of 7.4, which had <x> downloads.

If we had historical logs, which I gather we might not, we could make
claims that a certain release was downloaded N times more often than
another one, which would be an interesting number.  But giving out
absolute numbers is just laughable, considering the mirror network, the
redistributors, their mirror networks, and a host of other factors that
make the absolute download numbers from the primary FTP server
completely out of proportion with reality.  I would guess that we have
at least 100 times more installations than downloads from the primary
FTP server, factoring out that not every download leads to a unique
installation.

--
Peter Eisentraut