Re: [BUGS] PSQL commands not backwards-compatible - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: [BUGS] PSQL commands not backwards-compatible
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Tue, 30 Aug 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

>> Here is a patch that will print out (in interactive mode only) a warning
>> message if a newer client connects to an older major numbered server.
>
> Why only older?  It's even less likely to work if the server is newer.
>
> (I don't agree with the premise to begin with...)

An example of where this sort of 'obvious warning' is in an environment
like ours, where we have several different version of PostgreSQL running,
and *try* to make sure each version of psql is available to our clients,
but a  client inadvertantly runs the wrong version against their database
... its only psql that has the "helper commands", like \d, so the only
thing that *really* makes a different between versions ...

----