Re: beginning hackers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: beginning hackers
Date
Re: beginning hackers  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 07:09:10PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> > Can someone turn these items into a "beginning hacker's TODO" as has
> > been discussed before? Or find a way to mark them on the main TODO?
> >
> > If someone wants to tell me how this should be done and give me whatever
> > files need to be changed I'd be happy to submit a patch.
>
> Sure, submit a diff against doc/TODO and mark them with something like
> %.

Here's my stab at marking items. I picked items that I thought would
either be well-contained or that would be pretty straightforward. But
since I'm not very familiar with the code itself a lot of these could be
way off-base. I tried to err on the side of marking things that might be
boarderline since presumably it's easier for someone to see a marked
item and veto it rather than look at the entire list and try and find
new items. In any case, it wouldn't hurt for someone to make another
pass after this is applied and look for easy items that I missed.

BTW, while I was doing this it struck me that it might make sense to
have a difficulty ranking of, say 1-5, instead of just marking beginner
items. Thoughts?
Pervasive Software        http://pervasive.com        512-569-9461

Attachment