Re: Linux trademark and PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Linux trademark and PostgreSQL
Date
Re: Linux trademark and PostgreSQL  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
Why not just put the mark into the public domain?  I think it might
already be there.

http://www.linuxmark.org/linux_license_doc.html
> 3. Trademarks are transferred to the Foundation, or  a contract is executed giving the Foundation the right to grant
perpetualsublicenses.  This isn't that hard.
http://www.linuxmark.org/license.html.
> 5. People like Pervasive sign up to be licensed users of the mark.

relevantfrom the perspective of the licensee.  That is a separate question.

> > Pervasive is interested in becoming a formal licensee of the mark.  Just to be clear, we have no desire to be the
exclusivelicensee.

> > We believe that the bar to becoming a licensee of the mark should be low, just as the bar to using the software is.
We would

> >contribute to the creation of a licensing contract, up to assisting in the creation of a PostgreSQL Mark Institute
asthe licensing vehicle if that is what makes the most sense.