Re: pl/Ruby, deprecating plPython and Core - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Fetter
Subject Re: pl/Ruby, deprecating plPython and Core
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 09:19:28AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
> >Folks,
> >

> >>I think you should take a closer look at PL/Java for the following
> >>reasons:
> >

> >Hmmm, this brings up a good point.   If we're going to consider
> >PL/Ruby for main distro in 8.2, should we not consider PL/Java as
> >well?
>
> There is one strong reason other than that, I have zero objection to
> the idea.
>
> Most distributions of Linux (yes I know that there is more than
> Linux out there) don't ship with Java.  They ship with a wanna be,
> but couldn't be in the next 2 years thing call Gcj.

That's true.  Then again, not everything comes with the right version
of Python, Tcl, etc.  What I'm saying is that a thing can be available
in core and depend on libraries that you have to make sure are there
before getting it running.

If it makes any difference, +1 both on PL/J(ava) and PL/Ruby.

On a very closely related note, what's the latest on the integration
of PL/Java and PL/J?

Cheers,
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!