Re: Thoughs after discussions at OSCON - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: Thoughs after discussions at OSCON
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 10:12:01AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Jim,
>
> > Has anyone looked at how easy it would be to migrate an application from
> > SQLLite to PostgreSQL? I'm asking not because I think we need to try and
> > take space away from them, but because a number of sites/projects that
> > start out thinking "oh, this will never grow beyond a few users" end up
> > in a lot of pain when that assumption is proven false. Livejournal is a
> > great example of this. So it would be good if those people had a
> > moderately painless means to migrate to PostgreSQL after they out-grew
> > what SQLLite has to offer. Perhaps it would be worth trying to work with
> > the SQLLite folks on this.
>
> The "SQLite Folks" is actually pretty much just Richard.  He likes PostgreSQL
> a lot, and specifically designed SQLite to be compatible with PostgreSQL.
> Migrating an app (or dual-DB support) is easy, just ask David Wheeler.
>
> The main thing we could do for SQLite is offer Richard some PR and other
> "community" support.  It's a terrific little embedded database that just
> needs to have its profile raised.

So maybe we should do exactly that. Maybe something on the website:

Q: What if I just have a really small app that PGSQL is overkill for?
A: Use SQLite. Here's why: ...

A feature comparison between the two might be handy as well. Along with
some info on how to write code that will be easy to migrate should you
need to.

I know spare time is a scarce commodity, but perhaps we can get some
folks from the SQLite community to help with this. And of course it
makes sense to suggest PostgreSQL when SQLite turns out to be too
lightweight.
Pervasive Software        http://pervasive.com        512-569-9461