Re: Simple PG Sql question (i hope) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Simple PG Sql question (i hope)
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 03:05:13PM -0500, Tony Caduto wrote:
> Hi,
> I don't think I was clear enough.
>
> I know about using the AS keyword, that is not the problem.
> The query in issue is:
>
> select true,78,'Here is a value' as stringfield, testname from tbltest
>
> Is returning the string as TYPE Unknown, not the column name.  The
> column name comes back as stringfield because of the AS keyword.

What about the query:

select 't','78','Here is a value' as stringfield, testname from tbltest

This gives you three Unknown fields. PostgreSQL can't know that the
first is to be a bool or that the second is to be an int until you
actually give it a type. Usually via casting or by inserting into a
table/

Single quotes denote an untyped constant, not a string.

Hope this helps,

Attachment